Tips To Make Better Decisions In A Down Market
When the stakes are higher, should you make cautious business decisions or riskier ones? The answer might surprise you.
“Five years ago, most farmers were making money, but now they are losing money,” says Ray Massey, professor and ag economist, University of Missouri Extension. “You’d think people would be more conservative. But farmers may think they need to go all out and take the risk because they are losing money.”
Loss aversion, a behavioral economics concept, explains the pain of losing is psychologically twice as powerful as the pleasure of gaining.
“You like winning and dislike losing,” Massey says. “But you dislike losing more than you like winning.” This concept can make agreements difficult to reach. “Negotiations over a shrinking pie are difficult because they require an allocation of losses, whereas an expanding pie is an allocation of gains,” Massey says. “If you conceded $25 an acre in cash rent as a landowner, you encounter a loss, and your tenant just made $25.”
Another powerful and related emotion is the endowment effect, which says people will tend to pay more to retain something they own than to obtain something new.
“Once you get something, you want to keep it,” Massey says. “Farmers retain assets, especially land, longer than they should from a purely business perspective.”
Understanding these emotions
can be advantageous for farmers as they work through lease negotiations, marketing plans and growth opportunities.
- Bower Market Strategy Report: Wait Until HarvestIn StrategySeptember 24, 2017
- 15 Tips for First-Time Management SuccessIn ManagementOctober 7, 2017
- The Trump value trade might not be dead after all, and could see a ‘monster’ recoveryIn FinanceSeptember 24, 2017
- 298In StartupsAugust 15, 2017
- The biggest investment winners (and the one loser) of the 10 years since the start of the financial crisisIn StrategyAugust 10, 2017
- Ethereum and bitcoin on track for weekly lossIn Forex WorldJuly 15, 2017
- 25 Tools That Help with Inventory ManagementIn ManagementSeptember 9, 2017
- 8 key steps for a successful Instagram takeoverIn Marketing & SocialJuly 15, 2017
- Instagram-Based Small Business New Fork City Nears a Million FollowersIn Marketing & SocialSeptember 9, 2017
- Menorrhagia or Heavy Menstrual Periods Causes, Symptoms, TreatmentIn ManagementApril 11, 2018
- Bitcoin and Ethereum lower amid fall in cryptocurrency adoption rateIn Forex WorldJuly 15, 2017
- 3 Ways a Tech Startup Is Like Starting a BandIn StartupsFebruary 19, 2018