Tips To Make Better Decisions In A Down Market
When the stakes are higher, should you make cautious business decisions or riskier ones? The answer might surprise you.
“Five years ago, most farmers were making money, but now they are losing money,” says Ray Massey, professor and ag economist, University of Missouri Extension. “You’d think people would be more conservative. But farmers may think they need to go all out and take the risk because they are losing money.”
Loss aversion, a behavioral economics concept, explains the pain of losing is psychologically twice as powerful as the pleasure of gaining.
“You like winning and dislike losing,” Massey says. “But you dislike losing more than you like winning.” This concept can make agreements difficult to reach. “Negotiations over a shrinking pie are difficult because they require an allocation of losses, whereas an expanding pie is an allocation of gains,” Massey says. “If you conceded $25 an acre in cash rent as a landowner, you encounter a loss, and your tenant just made $25.”
Another powerful and related emotion is the endowment effect, which says people will tend to pay more to retain something they own than to obtain something new.
“Once you get something, you want to keep it,” Massey says. “Farmers retain assets, especially land, longer than they should from a purely business perspective.”
Understanding these emotions
can be advantageous for farmers as they work through lease negotiations, marketing plans and growth opportunities.
- When You Keep Falling Short of Your MissionIn StrategyJuly 15, 2017
- Dimon blasts financial press: ‘Who cares about fixed income trading in the last two weeks of June?’In FinanceJuly 15, 2017
- 8 key steps for a successful Instagram takeoverIn Marketing & SocialJuly 15, 2017
- Facebook to Finance $1 Billion in Original TV ContentIn FinanceSeptember 9, 2017
- Forex – USD/CAD holds at 28-month lows after strong Canadian dataIn Forex WorldSeptember 9, 2017
- Smart Bitcoin Strategies To Accumulate Gold BullionIn Marketing & SocialFebruary 16, 2018
- Here’s a reason why China would want to shut down bitcoinIn OtherSeptember 20, 2017
- Travelers Are Suffering from the “Last Mile” ProblemIn StrategyJuly 15, 2017
- Learn About Social Media Algorithms, Augmented Reality and More Changing Business TrendsIn Marketing & SocialSeptember 24, 2017
- 50 Business Ideas Using Google AdSenseIn Marketing & SocialSeptember 24, 2017
- 17 Percent of Small Businesses Still Advertise Regularly in the NewspaperIn Market TipsSeptember 9, 2017
- Cheat Sheet Helps Small Businesses Manage Social Media Presence (INFOGRAPHIC)In Marketing & SocialSeptember 9, 2017